Private Land Development
We achieve agency approval for corporations or individuals conducting residential, commercial, industrial, and recreational development.
Our longstanding relationships with clients and approval agencies are proof of the efficacy of our approach and the quality of our work.
D&A has been working with the private land development sector since our inception in 1981. Our experience gives us the foresight to anticipate and prepare for contingencies that may occur through the life cycle of your project.
As part of the Client’s planning team, D&A staff review the natural heritage policy requirements that are relevant to the development application process. We support the planning and design team (Planners, Engineers, Legal, and other professionals) for the successful completion of your project.
Our network of associates provides expertise in any discipline beyond the scope of D&A services.
We work with land developers through the life cycle of each project. Development services include:
- Property screening prior to purchase (preliminary natural heritage constraint assessment)
- Preparing Terms of Reference for Environmental Studies (in co-operation with agencies)
- Terrestrial surveys (i.e. amphibian and bird surveys, Ecological Land Classification, botanical/arboricultural assessments)
- Feature assessment and boundary delineation (i.e. wetlands, woodlands, wildlife habitat)
- Impact assessment and recommendations for impact avoidance and/or mitigation
- Environmental Implementation Plans
- Counsel regarding options, opportunities, and site plan revisions (if required)
- Assistance in fulfilling municipal site plan conditions
- Completion of landscape plans, such as:
- Impact mitigation and compensation plans
- Edge management / buffer plans
- Restoration plans
- Street tree plans
- Stormwater management plans
- Green infrastructure plans
- Expert opinion and testimony on natural heritage policy interpretation
Requirements for a project will depend on its location, local policy framework, and the nature and scale of proposed development. Our preferred approach is to liaise with the Client and agencies early in the life of the project so that issues are foreseen and dealt with proactively.
We achieve innovative and science-based solutions for development in complex landscapes, and are recognized by agencies for the quality and competence of our work. Our portfolio includes long-standing and repeat clients across southern Ontario, including Guelph, Waterloo Region, Hamilton, Oakville, Burlington, Mississauga, Toronto, and Whitchurch-Stoufville.