Naturalization & Restoration
D&A is a leader in the development and implementation of progressive ecological restoration techniques in urbanizing settings. The application of sound ecological principles is what sets our design products apart from conventional landscape plans.
Ecological landscape design is a key component in many of our projects, as well as a stand-alone service D&A has offered for more than 16 years.
D&A offers special expertise in ecologically-sound habitat protection, restoration, and creation solutions in urban and urbanizing contexts. With both trained Ecologists and Landscape Architects specializing in ecological restoration in-house, the firm regularly provides ecological expertise to multi-disciplinary teams, and is able to offer practical and progressive suggestions based on extensive experience in municipalities across southern Ontario.
Our services include:
- Buffer plantings
- Natural channel design & revegetation
- Wetland enhancement & restoration
- Native seeding
- Wildlife habitat structures
- Mitigation/compensation plans
- Living fences
- Biodiversity enhancement
- Wetland seedbank salvage
- Detailed design & contract administration
- Post construction monitoring
We provide detailed recommendations to minimize or mitigate impacts on natural features or areas, and develop innovative designs that sustain ecological integrity while also providing for appropriate human uses and aesthetics.
We also provide plans and services for monitoring these projects to assess the status of the ecological restoration or creation project post-installation and recommend appropriate follow-up actions if required.
We are recognized by agencies for the quality and competence of our work. Selected award winning projects include:
- CSLA NATIONAL HONOUR AWARD: Evergreen Brickworks Detailed Design, 2013
- MISSISSAUGA URBAN DESIGN AWARD OF MERIT: O’Connor Park, 2012
- CSLA NATIONAL HONOUR AWARD: RED - Research Evolve Design, 2011
- LEED BRONZE CERTIFICATION: Lakeside Park Development, 2010